We are currently seeking a highly qualified Research Scientist to join our tobacco trait development group in Richmond, VA.
The qualified candidate will work on protein purification, characterization, modification, and biochemistry for various plant and bacterial enzymes and discover, as well as characterize, biochemical pathways as part of a multidisciplinary program focused on plant trait development. The jobs will mainly focus on protein structure/function relationships associated with the production of metabolites, including chemical compound identification and biochemical pathway analysis; as well as gene identification and protein engineering.
Specific accountabilities include:
• Working with the Biotechnology group to explore the molecular genetics and metabolomic changes in tobacco germplasm and develop input/output traits. Exploring molecular genetics and biochemical bases for various plant traits
• Initiating and conducting research experiments independently. Applying biochemical analysis, protein analysis and protein engineering techniques to meet demanding project goals
• Leading, directing and providing technical guidance and instructions to junior lab personnel to conduct research, problem-solving investigations and instrument troubleshooting
• Building organizational capability and foster an environment of continuous improvement. Keeping abreast of new developments in protein characterization and protein structure/function analysis by participating in relevant scientific societies and their activities, and maintaining active contacts with external subject matter experts in respective fields
Specific qualifications include:
• A doctoral degree in Biochemistry or Enzymology or related field is preferred. Candidates with an advanced degree and equivalent demonstrated skills in field of biological sciences will also be considered.
• A minimum of 5 years of extensive experience in protein structural prediction and enzyme optimization, biochemistry, or protein engineering, enzymology, molecular biology, synthetic biology, and physiology.
• Extensive experience in protein characterization, protein structure/function analysis, and enzyme kinetics
• Extensive experience in synthesis and regulation of secondary metabolites.
• Ability to learn new techniques.
• Knowledge in NGS library preparation and data analysis; TRANSLATOME, enzyme assays, His-FLAG tag immunoprecipitations; transient assays using VIGS and agrobacterium infiltration, yeast complementation studies; metabolite profiling using HPLC-MS; precursor feeding and pathway elucidation; bioinformatics tools including CLC genomics workbench; hypothesis generation, data collection, and statistical analysis by SAS will be plus.
• Ability to work independently as a team leader as well as collaboratively in a team environment.
• Self-motivation, adaptability, strong people and project management skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong problem-solving, leadership and multi-tasking project management skills.
Altria Group is a FORTUNE 200 company that owns the premier tobacco companies in the United States including Philip Morris USA, U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company, John Middleton and Nu Mark. The companies’ brands include Marlboro, Copenhagen, Skoal, Black & Mild, MarkTen and VERVE. Altria also owns Ste. Michelle Wine Estates, one of the country’s top premium wine producers, and Philip Morris Capital Corporation, an investment company. Altria’s mission is to own and develop financially disciplined businesses that are leaders in responsibly providing adult tobacco and wine consumers with superior branded products.
We recognize that our people are the reason we achieve our business goals. We believe in developing the leadership potential of our employees by providing them with opportunities for training, development and advancement.
In addition to the opportunity to apply and develop your skills toward key business objectives, we offer an excellent compensation package including a competitive base salary, comprehensive health/vision/dental insurance, participation in our incentive compensation and deferred profit sharing programs, as well as a relocation assistance package.
Each Altria company is an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other protected class.