Position Summary: Clinical Educator
Plans, directs, coordinates and evaluates in-service orientation and continuing education programs for professional nursing personnel; develops schedules and conducts training programs for staff development; demonstrates and provides instruction in improved methods of nursing services and procedures; and orients new staff members, and provides refresher training as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Coordinates education, development, and continuing education activities:
1. Demonstrates mastery in the use of the nursing process.
2. Assesses the ongoing learning needs of those involved in the nursing care of patients.
3. Plans educational activities to meet identified learning needs through a collaborative approach.
4. Evaluates, processes and makes changes as appropriate.
5. Participates in unit based quality improvement committees and utilizes results to develop activities and modify nursing practices.
Maintains current knowledge of advances in the nursing field:
1. Researches and disseminates clinical expertise through professional presentations and/or publications.
2. Reviews and utilizes current literature and research findings relevant to the health care of pediatric patient and their families.
3. Recognizes and pursues development of research projects in collaboration with nurses and other professionals.
Participates in orientation of students and staff members:
1. Coordinates learning opportunities for orientees/staff that correlates with the individual's needs and the nursing unit's requirements.
2. Facilitates the development, presentation, and evaluation of orientation and ongoing educational programs.
3. Coordinates and evaluates orientation activities with preceptors and modifies as appropriate.
4. Participates in the formal 90-day evaluation process.
Acts as a consultant to enhance professional development:
1. Serves as an advanced clinical consultant to other healthcare professionals and the community.
2. Functions as liaison and research coordinator between the medical staff and the nursing staff.
3. Seeks opportunities to develop, present, and evaluate education programs within the community as well as within Children’s.
Promotes efficient use of human, material, and financial resources:
- Assists with the planning, development, and implementation of the annual budget as it relates to the education activities
- Promotes containment through the efficient use of resources; identifies and researches areas of potential cost savings and makes recommendations.
Licenses & certifications
Two years of relevant clinical nursing experience required.
Specific knowledge, skills, and abilities