The New Product Introduction (NPI) Engineer is charged with providing technical leadership, support and direction for new product designs intended to be transitioned into Operations from Engineering. Fundamentally, the NPI Engineer ensures new designs have sufficient margin and are capable of being produced in the required volumes, at the required cost and in the required timeframe. Focusing on affordability and producibility activities early in the design process, the NPI Engineer will help increase the design process velocity. The NPI Engineer will also drive technology trends into our factories to maximize design flexibility, increase manufacturing capability and lower production costs.
Core responsibilities include:
1. Provide technical support to Engineering and key suppliers by influencing the design approach and providing the team Design for Manufacturing and Maintainability (DFM2) and Design for Test (DFT) analysis in support of design trades.
2. Work directly with Engineering to implement DSSM (Design for Six Sigma Manufacturing). Understand design margins and predict factory and supplier yields through CpK analysis. Promote the use of design guidelines during product development to ensure designs consistently meet factory capabilities.
3. Collaborate on Make/Buy decisions, implement part selection consistent with the Manufacturing Strategy and aligned with the capabilities of our preferred suppliers. Identify new suppliers that suit the required technologies and support the design review process of subcontract items, working to ensure that our suppliers follow a NPI process.
4. Approve engineering drawings, Bill of Materials and procurement specifications.
5. Utilize Design to Cost methodology to proactively drive design to converge on cost, instead of allowing cost to converge on design.
6. Support our rapid prototyping and rapid procurement processes.
7. Identify technology trends and coordinate manufacturing capability and capacity evaluations.
8. Perform other related duties as required.